Position Title: Full Stack Developer – Earthquake, Tsunami, and Ocean Systems
Open Period : 24 August - 23 September 2023
The Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia(RIMES) is an international and intergovernmental institution, owned and managed by its Member States, for the generation and application of early warning information. RIMES evolved from the efforts of countries in Africa and Asia, in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, to establish a regional early warning system within a multi-hazard framework for the generation and communication of early warning information, and capacity building for preparedness and response to trans-boundary hazards. RIMES was established on 30 April 2009, and was registered with the United Nations on 1 July 2009. RIMES operates from its regional early warning center located at the campus of the Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani, Thailand.
The Full Stack Developer – Earthquake, Tsunami, and Ocean Systems is responsible for developing/enhancing and/or customizing the Decision Support Systems (DSSs) for earthquake, tsunami, and ocean applications, and is part of an earthquake and tsunami investigation team at RIMES’ regional facility for tsunami warning.
Duty station : RIMES Regional Facility, AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand
Type of Contract : Full-Time Contract
At least Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering, information and communication technology, or a related field
Skills and Abilities:
Strong analytical, problem solving, and multitasking skills; demonstrated ability to plan and organize work independently; sound judgment and reasoning ability; excellent written and verbal English communication skills
Excellent inter-personal skills and team-oriented work style; high level of patience and professionalism; ability to remain calm when dealing with crisis; ability to keep confidential matters private; interest in working in a multi-cultural environment; strong desire to learn; willingness to work hard; a good sense of humor and fun, but with seriousness on the quality and excellence of work
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop/Enhance/Customize front-end applications, databases, and required modules/ functionalities to support the earthquake monitoring and tsunami warning operations, ocean/coastal applications, including, but not limited to, ocean state forecast, tsunami, storm surge, oil spill, coral bleaching, sea level rise, potential fishing zones, sea rescue, etc.
- Develop and/or integrate existing plugins, APIs, Microservices, Angular-based components
- Handle and utilize different data formats including XLS, CSV, XML, NetCDF, HDF5, etc. in tool development
- Visualize data using web GIS-based technologies
- Implement security and data protection measures
- Ensure optimum system performance, upgrade or enhance existing features/ functionalities, troubleshoot and debug programming issues
- Develop and maintain technical documentation and user manuals
Operational support to 24/7 earthquake and tsunami services:
- Ensure shift operations are carried out in compliance with RIMES SOP/RTWP standards
- Ensure proper handover of information, duties, and responsibilities between shift owners and communication of problems/issues encountered during operations
- Operate the RIMES seismic and sea level monitoring systems for the determination of the location, magnitude, and tsunami potential of any earthquake occurring in the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asian regions and decision support system for dissemination of earthquake alerts and tsunami advisories
- Prepare and issue tsunami advisories to national warning centers of member countries during a tsunami emergency
- Ensure that tsunami advisories are properly relayed and coordinated with other RTWPs to avoid confusion and to complement watches issued by these providers
- Prepare a situation report for earthquake events with magnitude 6.5 and above
- Recommend and implement improvements in earthquake monitoring and tsunami warning capabilities
Team Leader - Earthquake, Tsunami, and Ocean Systems Department
The contract will initially be for one year and will be extended upon satisfactory completion of 120 days probationary term and each annual performance review.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send your application letter, resume, salary expectation and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight of 23 September 2023, Bangkok time. Please state “Full Stack Developer – Earthquake, Tsunami, and Ocean Systems : Your Name “ the Subject line of the email. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Ms. Dusadee Padungkul
Head-Operational Support Department
Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System
AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1,
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand.
RIMES promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Well-qualified applicants particularly women are encouraged to apply.