Position Title: Local Agriculturist (Timorese National)
Open Period : 7 November 2023 – 6 December 2023
Background : The Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia
(RIMES) is an international and intergovernmental institution, owned and managed by its Member States, for the generation and application of early warning information. RIMES evolved from the efforts of countries in Africa and Asia, in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, to establish a regional early warning system within a multi-hazard framework for the generation and communication of early warning information, and capacity building for preparedness and response to trans-boundary hazards. RIMES was established on 30 April 2009, and was registered with the United Nations on 1 July 2009. RIMES operates from its regional early warning center located at the campus of the Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani.
Position Description: The Local Agriculturist will support the implementation of RIMES’ components under the Global Climate Fund’s Enhancing Early Warning Systems to Build Greater Resilience to Hydro-meteorological Hazards in Timor-Leste Project. Specifically, the Local Agriculturist will coordinate, facilitate, monitor, and communicate results of the customization and field application of the decision support system for the agriculture sector and other capacity building activities.
Contract Type: Full-time, project-based contract
Duty station: Dili, Timor Leste
• Master’s degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Science, Agricultural Engineering, or any agriculture-related field, or Bachelor's degree with at least five (5) years of combined work experiences in Timor Leste on coordination, facilitation, monitoring, and/or communication of project-related activities with farmers’ cooperatives
• At least three (3) years of work experience coordinating with and community mobilization of local farmers and farmers’ cooperatives in Timor Leste, including monitoring of timely accomplishments of project-related activities.
• At least two (2) years of work experience in formulating agroecological calendars and agriculture-related decision support systems
• Experience in organizing and/or facilitating technical training, forums and/or workshops on agroecological farming practices, sustainable farming, and/or climate-resilient agriculture.
• Familiarity with the institutions/organizations as well as approaches and concepts in disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM), early warning, and climate change adaptation (CCA)
Skills and Abilities:
• Highly skilled in agroecological farming practices and/or climate-resilient agriculture, including the application of farming processes in early warning, DRRM, and CCA
• Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and planning skills
• Strong communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
• Ability to work amicably in a multicultural and multidisciplinary work environment.
• Excellent knowledge of Portuguese, Tetum, and English (both oral and written)
• Self-motivated, flexible, and able to work effectively and independently.
• Excellent work ethic and aptitude to work with a constructive attitude.
• Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results.
• Shows persistence when faced with difficulties or challenges.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Coordinate with RIMES partners from the National Directorate of Meteorology and Geophysics (NDMG) of the Ministry of Transport and Communications, the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), and other relevant agencies and organizations, including farmers’ cooperatives and other local stakeholders on different project activities;
B. Provide technical inputs to the design and customization of a user-friendly decision support system (DSS) for agriculture, while incorporating stakeholders’ feedback and suggestions;
C. Support the implementation and monitoring of, and documentation and communication of highlights, good practices, and lessons learned on the project activities including but not limited to:
1. Organizing and facilitating consultation and progress meetings, training workshops, and capacity-building activities with project partners, specially from the agriculture sector;
2. Providing technical inputs to concept notes, activity/training designs, and progress reports;
3. Conducting research on crop production, soil quality, pest and disease management, climate and disaster risk in farming, and other areas related to local agriculture, to identify best practices and new techniques that can improve crop yields and resiliency;
4. Organizing and facilitating meetings and workshops for the field testing and deployment of the DSS for agriculture;
5. Extending assistance in the development and translation of training manuals, presentation slides, IEC materials, and other documents;
6. Conducting field visits to and regular coordination with stakeholders, including assistance to field missions of project partners;
D. Ensure timely completion of project activities, including extending administrative and logistical support, if necessary; and
E. Any other relevant work necessary for the successful implementation and documentation of program/project-related activities as assigned by the RIMES Climate Risk Management Specialist.
Supervisor: Ms. Carlyne Yu, Head, Risk Knowledge Applications & Project Manager.
Contract Duration: 12 months, with possible extension on above satisfactory performance; Probationary period: 4 months.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send your application letter, resume, salary expectation and 2 references in PDF format to email@example.com by midnight of 6 December 2023, Bangkok time. Please state “Local Agriculturist (Timorese National):Your Name “ the Subject line of the email. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Ms. Dusadee Padungkul
Head, Department of Operational Support
Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System
AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1,
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand.
RIMES promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Well-qualified applicants particularly women are encouraged to apply.