Position Title: Senior Oceanographer
Open Period : 26 August - 25 September 2023
Background : The Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia
(RIMES) is an international and intergovernmental institution, owned and managed by its Member States, for the generation and application of early warning information. RIMES evolved from the efforts of countries in Africa and Asia, in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, to establish a regional early warning system within a multi-hazard framework for the generation and communication of early warning information, and capacity building for preparedness and response to trans-boundary hazards. RIMES was established on 30 April 2009, and was registered with the United Nations on 1 July 2009. RIMES operates from its regional early warning center located at the campus of the Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani, Thailand.
The Senior Oceanographer is responsible for supporting the development and application of ocean/coastal models within the region and is part of an OIS/ earthquake and tsunami investigation team at RIMES’ regional facility for tsunami warning..
Duty station : RIMES Regional Facility, AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand.
Type of Contract : Full-Time Contract
A Ph.D. in Oceanography, Marine Science, or a related fieldExperience:
- Extensive experience in designing and leading oceanographic research projects and field campaigns
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record of conducting impactful oceanographic research, demonstrated through publications and contributions to the field
- Proficiency in oceanographic data collection methods, equipment, and analysis techniques
- Strong programming skills (e.g., Python, MATLAB) for data analysis and modeling
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present complex information to diverse audiences
- Leadership and mentoring abilities, with a collaborative approach to teamwork
Excellent interpersonal skills; team-oriented work style; interest and experience in working in a multi-cultural environment; strong desire to learn and undertake new challenges; a creative problem-solver; willingness to work hard; willingness to travel under sometimes adverse conditions; ability to work long hours and under pressure; a good sense of humor and fun, but with seriousness on the quality and excellence of work.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
As Senior Oceanographer:
- Coordinate with relevant institutions and/or country partners/focal points for implementing program/project activities and responding to stakeholders needs and requirements
- Conduct applied research and develop models/risk indices of various ocean/coastal processes and applications, including, but not limited to, establishment of ocean observation system ocean state , tsunami, storm surge, coastal flooding/erosion, oil spill, coral bleaching, sea level rise, potential fishing zones, sea rescue, etc.
- Modelling and forecasting and transforming forecast data into user relevant information
- Lead the field survey for collecting relevant data and validating forecast models
- Conduct data analysis, provide quality control/ quality assurance on various ocean datasets/products, and troubleshoot data quality issues, if any
- Provide solutions to issues related to hydrodynamics of coastal systems including waves, circulation, dispersion, storm surge, and tsunami inundation
- Recommend mitigation measures for preventing or minimizing coastal hazards
- Develop and manage research budget and timelines, involves tracking expenses, ensuring that the project stays on track, and making adjustments as needed. The Senior Oceanographer may also need to work with other departments to secure the necessary resources.
- Work with the systems development team to develop/enhance existing tools and decision support systems (DSSs), incorporating new technologies and analysis techniques in ocean/coastal applications
- Generate ocean/coastal hazard, vulnerability, and risk assessment maps for integration into tools/ DSSs
- Support operational staff in the countries to run the operational system and provide technical advice, as needed
- Design, prepare, deliver, and evaluate trainings
- Prepare reports for documenting program/project activities
Operational Support to 24/7 earthquake and tsunami ocean state forecast services:
- Ensure shift operations are carried out in compliance with RIMES SOP/ RTWP standards
- Ensure proper handover of information, duties, and responsibilities between shift owners and communication of problems/issues encountered during operation
- Operate the RIMES seismic and sea level monitoring systems and ocean observation systems for the determination of the location, magnitude, and tsunami potential of any earthquake occurring in the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asian regions and decision support system for dissemination of earthquake alerts and tsunami ocean state forecast advisories
- Prepare and issue tsunami advisories to national warning centers of member countries during a tsunami emergency and ocean state forecast data users
- Ensure that tsunami advisories are properly relayed and coordinated with other RTWPs to avoid confusion and to complement watches issued by these providers
- Prepare a situation report for earthquake events with magnitude of 6.5 and above
- Recommend and implement improvements in earthquake monitoring and tsunami warning capabilities
- Provide technical inputs to siting, installation/deployment, testing, operation, and maintenance of seismic and ocean-related equipment/stations
- Work closely with the team to review and suggest upgrades to the decision support tools developed at RIMES
- Work with the Team lead to develop and design ocean information requirement in RIMES member countries in the Indian Ocean and Pacific area
- Develop concept and model for storm surge model
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the immediate supervisor
The staff shall report to Director Program Unit
The contract will initially be for one year and will be extended upon satisfactory completion of 120 days probationary term and each annual performance review.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send your application letter, resume, salary expectation and 2 references to email@example.com by midnight of 25 September 2023, Bangkok time. Please state “ Senior Oceanographer : Your Name “ the Subject line of the email. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Ms. Dusadee Padungkul
Head-Operational Support Department
Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System
AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1,
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand.
RIMES promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Well-qualified applicants particularly women are encouraged to apply.