RIMES builds capacities of forecasters in enhancing observation and monitoring systems, data process and analysis, prediction and forecasting, risk assessment, warning formulation and dissemination until the last mile, preparation of response options and system adjustment.
RIMES also builds end-user’s capacities in translating warning information into impact outlooks and response options, and their application in making decisions to reduce disaster risks.
RIMES provides the following services to national and local level institutions within each Member States' early warning frameworks:
- Assistance in establishing and maintaining observation and monitoring stations of regional benefit
- Training of scientists: in-country training and through secondment arrangements at the RIMES Regional Facility
- Co-development of decision-support tools and their integration into societal or sectoral application. These include risk assessment, interpretation and translation of early warning information products into impact outlooks and response options.
- Application of tailored risk information at different time scales in decision-making
- Early warning system audits
- Strengthening national early warning provider and user interface